Open Source Solutions
Open Source Software (OSS) is transforming the way businesses acquire and manage software, at every level from operating systems to application. They are increasingly looking for innovation, flexibility, better ROI and cost reduction. We believe that in many cases Open Source applications can deliver all of these benefits. Some of the largest companies in the world today, such as Amazon, Yahoo! and Google, owe their success to Open Source.
Gone are the days when the power of Open Source was felt only at the operating system level. Today there are many applications, development languages and tools that can empower organisations and their IT departments with a wide array of choices to bring greater control, independence, innovation and cost savings. Whether it’s for the desktop, for supporting applications critical to your organisation’s online presence, or for running the Back Office, there’s probably an Open Source based application to meet your needs.
With the rise of Open Source’s popularity, a new breed of enterprise-friendly OSS, also known as Commercial OSS, has come into existence. Commercial OSS is aimed at users who wish to enjoy the flexibility of Open Source with the support of proprietary software at a much lower cost. The rise in the number of Commercial OSS projects has generated an upsurge of interest in Open Source in many quarters.
However, despite Open Source’s excellent software engineering practices, low cost, comprehensive support options and innovative business models, there’s still widespread confusion about its benefits, and a reluctance to pursue an OSS strategy. Often this reflects a lack of appropriate resources within an organisation.
Onepoint has deep understanding and experience of Open Source, including infrastructure, products and specific technical skills:
- Infrastructure Related.
- Xen virtualisation.
- Desktop & Server Linux (including Ubuntu, CentOS, Red Hat).
- Red Hat clustering.
- Embedded Linux.
- Bash scripting.
- Audio/Video capture/encoding/decoding/streaming/transcoding/processing.
Product skills include Installation/Customisation/Migration/Support Services for OpenVZ, Zimbra ZCS, Alfresco, MediaWiki, Joomla, WordPress, OSCommerce, ZenCart, Request Tracker, Liferay and JA-SIG CAS.
Technical skills include:
- Zope, Plone, OpenCms, Mambo/Joomla, Alfresco ECM, Liferay Enterprise Portal, Zimbra Collaboration Suite, TWiki, Mediawiki, ZWiki, Wikka Wakka Wiki, WordPress, WebHuddle, Xen, OpenVZ, VMware Server, Subversion, Trac.
- Java, Struts, Spring Framework, ORM, J2EE, Web Services, Liferay portlets.
- LDAP administration and programming skills (including OpenLDAP, Fedora DS and Apache DS).
- Application servers including Tomcat and jBoss.
- Database experience including MySQL,Postgres, Oracle, SQLite and Ingres.
- Rapid Web Development Frameworks including Groovy, Grails, Ruby and Ruby on Rails.
We can help with the following Open Source consulting services
- Assess the benefits of OSS for your enterprise.
- Define an OSS Strategy and shape your IT and Enterprise Architecture Strategies.
- Assess the maturity of Open Source Solutions and help select the right products for your enterprise.
- Implementation and Integration of Alfresco, Zimbra and Liferay.
- Migration Services to OSS.