Onepoint architects, designs and implements the next generation of email archiving solution
Founded in 1998, US based Eventra provides services and solutions that help manufacturers successfully manage their inbound direct material supply chain.
Eventra’s software is used by many of the world’s leading and most profitable aerospace and automotive corporations. Everybody who has flown in a plane or driven a car has used items manufactured with Eventra’s Vendor Site supply chain software. Eventra software is also used in business intelligence applications for two of the three of the world’s largest credit card processing organizations as well as in other areas of equities and fixed income applications.
- Onepoint was contracted to architect, design and implement the next generation of email archiving solution that will also improve Eventra’s ability to implement additional intelligent email processing routing capabilities and LDAP import.
- Eventra also wished to avoid vendor lock-in to proprietary software.
- Reduce cost of implementation and deployment.
Onepoint came to their attention as an Alfresco partner that is experienced in messaging (Onepoint has experience in implementing Zimbra messaging solution).
Onepoint’s deep-technical expertise and know-how in Open Source was a decisive factor that allowed Eventra to shortlist Onepoint as their consulting, SI and development vendor for this project.
Upon careful analysis of Eventra’s requirements, Onepoint suggested a solution comprising mainly of Open Source components. The solution-set included integration of enterprise-grade Open Source.Software (“OSS”), such as Alfresco ECM, Liferay Portal Server and JSIG CAS (Single Sign-On system) and development of portlets for providing the user-interfaces for a variety of email packages including Exchange, Zimbra and Sendmail.
In addition Onepoint also shortlisted Open Source development frameworks, such as the ExtJS framework for Ajax functionality in the portlets, Grails for rapid development of mid-size custom. applications (like the transaction management application), and Apache Tomcat as the servlet. container.
There was also the need to include Proprietary libraries, like the Tasman SDK for barcode recognition and PDFlib for PDF document personalisation for Fax cover pages.
Project was delivered in several phases. The resulting solution is completely web-based, thus, allowing the users to use it without the need of any special client, other than the web browser.
Application integration was based on well-defined and emerging standards such as JSR168, JSON and REST.
The key business benefits delivered were:
- Avoiding vendor lock-in to proprietary software. Using open source and standard based systems will enable Eventra to work with a variety of fax and EDI gateways, including Open Source products like Asterisk. Currently they are locked into proprietary systems.
- Reduced cost of implementation and deployment – using open source products has reduced the.cost base and will enable Eventra to deploy these gateways in multiple geographic regions at much lower cost Application has been architected to support a geographically distributed deployments in service provider environments.
- Modular architecture allows phased incremental delivery building on proven foundation.
- A scalable architecture that can expand as required to meet business growth.
- Enhanced functionality such as better number management.