Global Coatings Company Case Study
Onepoint helps a leading US $4 billion global coatings company facilitate a smooth transition and exit from its parent technical system, application and services.
A global leader in coating systems with over US $ 4 billion in revenues, the client has been dedicated to the development manufacture and sale of liquid and powder coatings for over a century.
Operating from their headquarters in the US they have an employee force of 12,000 that serves more than 120,000 customers across 130 countries
- The newly formed independent company had to exit from using shared applications and services used by its former parent company as part of the Transitional Separation Agreement (TSA).
- Establish a Master Data Management platform that would fully support future development of MDM and data quality requirements.
- Establish the automated distribution of data objects from the MDM system to their existing SAP system.
- The whole transition from the old architecture of the MDM system (a series of Lotus Notes, mainframe databases with embedded host system functionalities) to the future envisioned system was time bound by the TSA. Therefore a scheduled timeframe was in place at the start of the project.
- A system designed to handle 600 global users (300 concurrent), up to million records and up to 20,000 new entries a year.
- The overall strategy was to replace the outdated MDM system with a solution based on the versatile and cost
- effective pre-selected Talend technology product. This also involved a Business Process Management functionality using Bonitasoft that would provide the user interface.
Given the strict time window, We took on the project with a systematic approach to deliver the following solution in phases:
- Captured and refined the Functional requirements for 3 major domains (customers, vendors and materials).
- Created wireframes for more than 80 different user interface views.Documented specification for more than 3000 relevant fields each one detailed in more than 40 characteristics into a single excel document.
- Defined more than 320 reference data tables (220 retrieved from SAP).
- Defined the initial reference data for more than 60 custom tables.
- Defined initial special reference data based on rules for more than 35 tables.
Development and testing phase
- Two parallel development teams worked to meet the deadlines.
- Implemented 9 complex BPM workflows (up to 5-7 steps each, up to 300 fields across 9-15 screens for most steps, multiple context dependent validation rules, AJAX-style backend lookups dynamic navigation rules).
- Designed MDM data model, using a flat data structure in customers and vendors and a hierarchical structure in materials.
- Created more than 150 Talend jobs managed by TAC.
- Implemented the integration with SAP IDocs and other systems.
- Designed the Talend BPM (Bonitasoft) workflows with more than 100 user interfaces views.
- Performed more than 6000 custom and automated tests.
- To ensure a complete handover the team also prepared an exhaustive set of documents namely:
- Functional specification documents for all 3 major domains.
- System architecture document.
- Design documents for the 3 major domains.
- Installation documents for the 3 major domains.
Case Studies Category
SolutionMDM, ETL, Data Integration, Workflow Management
TechnologyAWS, Talend, Bonitasoft
ServiceArchitecture Services, System Integration Services, Software Development
- In terms of operational work, the new-implemented integrations (e.g. with SAP) allowed the client users to save a significant amount of time, in transferring data manually to other client systems.
- Client program manager, at the end of the project expressed satisfaction with regard to the professional work that We did in a very short period of time on such a large-scale implementation project.
- We fully supported the client in exiting the TSA ensuring no penalty payments had to be paid to the client’s parent company.
- The system was also successfully tested to handle 600 global users (300 concurrent), up to million records and up to 20,000 new entries a year.
Added Technology Benefit
The newly implemented Talend technology brings with it additional benefits to ensure future business improvements by delivering master data to applications and business processes in real time, it turns master data into insight and actions.
With a highly scalable model Talend MDM provides an intuitive and powerful approach for designing and rolling-out master data initiatives with a unified platform to start small and expand quickly.